Write to Alyssa at:

Mission Address:
Sister Alyssa Nicole Escalante

California Carlsbad Mission

451 W Bobier Dr

Vista, CA 92083


Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013

Hi Everybody!

How are you all doing? Sorry I'm a little late today. We had a really fun Zone Activity and didn't get to the library until recently. We played Kickball and Volleyball at a member's house (not in our ward) who was quite...hmm, I think "well-off" is an understatement, but then again we are in Temecula. It was fun though. We also had ribs and chicken by the pool and explored the kid house, saw the turtles, pet the dogs and pony, played ping pong, and enjoyed drinks at their outside (Mormon) bar. It was a kick! J It was really fun to hang out with Hermana Sheffield too! I love having her and Elder Herrera in my Zone! I know I say that all the time, but it's true. They're awesome. I adore Hermana VillaseƱor as well, but we live with her, so that's old news. 

Sounds like you had a great week! You're amazing mama, did you know that? I don't get homesick, well like ever, but the other day, somehow you came up (I think we were talking about beautiful women or something) and I thought about how I get to talk to you in 2 months! Fun! Can you believe how fast time flies? It's pretty disgusting actually. I can't believe I passed my year-mark the other week (did you remember?! You didn't say anything about it)! Anyway, I'm glad you're keeping busy and I love and miss you.

Anyway, back to your letter. (Sorri!) Sounds busy with the sobrinos! You didn't tell me you were going to Texas! Fun! And congrats to Wes! Man, that went by fast. I was going to write him a letter, but am I too late? If I don't get an email from you that week, I think I'll forgive you J so no worries.

I hadn't heard about the softball game actually. Kimi doesn't really write me, sadly. And yes I did write Zach, but I never heard back from him. He's probably pretty busy with life. Congrats to Kylie! I do get the ward banner actually and I like to skim through it, even though I don't have time to read it, so I did see that. Fun Stuff! Have you heard about how Christine (Prestgard) is doing? 

Well shoot, I was going to send more pics, but my camera just died. Sorry! Next week, for sure. Anyway, so you want to know more about Hma Johnson? Hmm, well what have I told you so far? She's darling. She's from Connecticut, and she is 19. Shocking...I'm convinced I will train my whole mission and only serve with 19 yr. olds. Oh well ;) She's so great though. She is very calm and quiet, but we find a good balance in our teaching, as well as our just getting along in general. She often wants to talk about the plans we’re going to have to hang out when she comes and visits me in Utah after her mission, ha-ha she's darling. I feel very blessed to have her as a companion. She's very on top of things, learns things quickly, and has a good attitude.
Hermana Johnson

Hma VillaseƱor's companion is also very darling, but is having a really hard time and needless to say, they need to buy tissues every week to keep up with her ... emotions. So yeah, I feel so grateful for Hermana Johnson! J

We are working better with the ward and I am also so grateful to be able to learn how to work with an English, Ward Council (very different than a Spanish ward). They are great at fellow-shipping as well. Don, our AWESOME investigator came to church this week and they were so good at welcoming him, but not being overwhelming. He had a great time and is progressing very well! We've also been helping with some less-actives come back to church and so there is some trust being gained there with the ward. I've decided that even though I'm not necessarily thrilled with some of the attitudes of our leaders in the ward, we just need to smile and keep on working anyway. It's still the Lord's work, and like Pres. Uchtdorf said, the Lord works through imperfect people, including me! We have been finding new investigators, though we are working on finding some good, solid families, who can support each other in the gospel.

Remember Patricia? Well, her son was baptized after I left, he daughter will be baptized when she turns 8, and her husband is now taking the lessons! Oh! It's so wonderful! The thought of them being an eternal family just fills my heart with joy! I love it! J (D&C 18:10-17). 

So we had some great exchanges this week! I went to Murrieta with Hma Whicker and Hma Johnson stayed and led out in the area with Hma Whicker's trainee, Hma Painter. They actually did a great job! Hma Johnson is so great. Anyway, the funny story!?! So, we went out to eat with a part-member family named la familia Cuevas. They were great, and I was talking a lot with their daughter Daisy, the one that sent you the pic. (You should send it to me! I didn't even get to see it!) Anyway...so we were talking and she recently returned from her mission, due to medical problems, but she still loves the work. She served in Tampa, Florida! So, of course, I asked if she new my best friend over there, Elder Elliott. And hey! What do you know? He was her district leader! Small world, huh? The only thing is that she then continued on to talk about him for the rest of the dinner hour and how amazing he is. Jeez, talk about distracting. But anyway, it was great. She came with us to a lesson the next day too, so that was fun J I'll see if I can forward the picture from my last email to him, since my camera just died. 

Did you get the pic? Ok, so. Where was I? Oh yeah, the other pics I sent today were from Santiago's baptism. Did I mention he got baptized and that I love the Foxes? I forget. Tell me if I did or not. Thanks ;)
Santiago's Baptism
At the Baptism
Santiago
With Hermana Bennett

Hmmm, I felt like I had a lot more to say, but now I can't remember. I'm not sure if Grandma & Grandpa have started snail mailing me, but our mail got backed up and we haven't received any for a while, so we'll see if it ever comes. Well, I think I'll try to catch up on some other emails in these last few minutes. I love you and I know the gospel is true. LOVE YOU!
Con amor,

Hermana Escalante














No comments:

Post a Comment